Leiliebloem House is our chosen Social Action Campaign as I had posted on my blog a few weeks ago. It is a childrens home in Crawford/Athlone in Cape Town and houses 84 children that have been removed from their parents or are orphaned. We were there this past Saturday to have a look at what the specific need is. We had envisaged being there for half an hour and all 10 of us from our church group met there at 2pm. I had been out shopping for Bridesmaids material since 9am and was feeling very tired and cranky. It didnt take long before I forgot about that and just connected with the kids. The first little girl - Sharne - that I connected with was a little girl of about 5 who ran up to us and threw and said hi, to which we responded hello what is your name? I dont have a name she said. (She was playing a game for us to guess her name) Eventually another little boy told us her name to which she denied was her name. Anyway I digress, there are 4 units which both have an upstairs and a downstairs section that are identical. 3 of the units are for girls and 1 of the units are for boys. So for example in the boys unit there are 14 boys upstairs and 14 boys downstairs, each unit consists of bedrooms, bathrooms, a tv room, kitchen and small dining area.
There is a such a need here at Leiliebloem, a great need for maintenance and a need for time to spent with the children. A lot of the children dont get visits from their parents, even though some of them stay 10min away from the home. We have decided that we cannot tackle the maintenance issue right now without a lot of groundwork being done first, sponsors etc. So in th interim are going to hold a fun day for the kids on the 3rd Nov, and want to try and do either borewors rolls / hotdogs, cooldrinks, ice cream and a jumping castle for the smaller kids. For the bigger ones hopefully the guys can play some sport like cricket or soccer. As I said earlier or Saturday we had envisaged spending half an hour there, two hours later we were still there whilst the kids showed us their rooms, sang for us etc. It was quite hard to leave. I am going to post some pictures. We are really looking forward to this day and are hoping to get those with older children to sponsor some of their toys, books, clothes etc. So if anyone out there has, please get to me and I will make sure that it goes with us.
Leiliebloem House:
Playground - with building rubble

Most of the ceilings are terribly damp and rotting

One of the posters up

Severe damp is in most of the units

Chelsea with Danielle

3 of the boys

In their hall
Sharne - the little girl with 'no name'
Sharne and Danielle

One of the boys bedrooms

Maintenance problems

One of the kitchens

4 comments:
Wow! Sounds like a very good eye-opening experience. Please, you must just let me know what I can do! And I will make sure I give things for the day!
xxxx
Hi Nicci,
Good luck with all that you are trying to do as a church group for these kids. It's always emotional working with children, who you grow to love, but who come from such unhappy back grounds. Many of them are left to "rot" in these places of care until they are old enough to fend for themselves. I take my hat off to you guys for actually going out there and for trying to make a difference. I am sure that you are touching these kids lives in ways you cannot imagine. I've been meaning to give Jake's room a good clean out and there will definitely be some things I can send to you for them. I'll get in touch with you soon XXX
What a lovely cause. Can I just say that the damp is the first thing that you must tackle as that causes sickness. The painting and prettying up can always follow. I will gather bits for you and give you a ring. Those little faces wring ones heart!!! Nana Fi xx
I just cant cope with seeing all those little ones with no mummies and daddies and in need of proper facilities. Its a great thing you are doing and everyone will give to your cause. the damp has got to go. when I moved to England I lived in a place with a little bit of damp and was constantly sick the whole year.
keep us informed. I will get mum to see what I can give
xxx
Post a Comment