Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Child Controversy

This is the lady Corinne Maier who wrote the book "40 reasons not to have children" and has caused quite a stir in the hearts of all mothers. However funnily enough she has 2 children of her own.

Here are just 20 of them and then I will continue with my post:

— Childbirth is torture
— You will become a mobile feeding bottle
— You will struggle to continue having fun yourself
— You will lose touch with your friends
— You will have to learn a language of idiots to communicate with your children
— Your children will kill your desire
— Children sound the death knell of the couple
— Having children is conformist
— Children are expensive
— You will be duped into thinking that there is such a thing as a perfect child
— You will inevitably be disappointed by your own child
— You will be expected to be a mother before you are a professional and a woman
— Families are a nightmare
— Children will put the seal on your childhood dreams
— You can’t stop yourself wanting complete happiness for your progeny
— Staying at home to look after children is breathtakingly dull
— You have to choose between motherhood and professional success
— When a child appears, the father disappears
— There are already too many children on the planet Children are dangerous. They will take you to court without a second thought

How I got to hear about this was an article in the latest Your Baby and must say I was quite shocked by it. It's all very well that each person has their own individual choice whether to become a mother or not and thats what it is a personal choice.... but why put others off when you already have children...

I know one or two friends that may read this and say "Aha you see that is exactly why I dont want children" and the truth of the matter is that motherhood is scary and daunting as well as exhilirating and exciting. When I first fell pregnant as much as I wanted Joshua I was filled with trepidation and a feeling that I was too lose something of myself and in truth I have. I have changed and I feel it is for the better and I would not want to change his arrival for anything in this world. In fact it is more of "what on earth was i doing before I had him....?"life has a real meaning for me now. And yes I suppose it is "for me" and may not be "for others" but allow those that have not have children make an unbiased decision....lets hope they choose not to read this book.

p.s. doing a google search on this book filled thousands of posts from indignant moms and outrage together with 40 reasons "to have children" But as all the bloggers that are on my list are moms I think we already know why.....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this article as well and must admit I wondered if she had not intended it to be tongue-in-cheek (hope that is how you spell it) as I found some of her reasons to be ridiculous. If not, then it is just sad, especially as she already has kids and they will read it oneday. I think those of us who are moms don't need to fight back or justify why we have children, the reasons are evident on a daily basis and clearly this woman is losing out. Perhaps she, like some women, enter motherhood with the wrong expectations and end up resenting their children. Really it is her loss.

Wendy said...

she looks like a hard nosed cow actually!
I think this sort of thing is all publicity seeking. controversy = fame. there is an article in the paper this weekend by this woman and several others saying they favour one child and are not afraid to admit it.!
I am with you things change when you become a mummy but its a welcome change and you feel complete. thats how I feel. Children are a joy and I love every minute i spend with mine and my friends children come to think of it. Loving all the blog posts Nix keep it up!
hope you got some rest
xx

Sue said...

That's hectic - I haven't heard about her. I can't help but imagine how her kids will feel one day when they are old enough to read the book. She sounds like she needs to go on an anti-depressant! I love my life and my child and I wouldn't change a single moment of being a mother. There's nothing like it!!

Anonymous said...

I think her kids will know her well enough to realise that she loves them to death, that she is being somewhat wry and dry...and if you are all honest, absolutely truthful and honest about what children do to the life and the relationship you thought you had before they arrived.

Suzaan said...

Well I think that there are way to many people out there who romanticise having a baby, when in actual fact it is the most challenging and life altering experience so maybe she just wanted to emphasise that although some of those reasons quoted are rediculous, but thought provoking nevertheless.

Fiona said...

Maybe her children are very expensive, so she has written this book to pay for all their wants, or she is saving in case they take her to court one day. She is one clever lady. lol Fiona xx

purpleronnie said...

Well I myself was quite alarmed when I read this last week! I was quite outraged and then realised that it must be a tongue-in-cheek book. I really hope so anyway as I would hate my parents to say such terrible things about me!

 
Designed by Lena