Monday, September 15, 2008

Tiredness....

Have you ever been so tired that it is an effort to lift your arms or that your eyes feel like sandpaper...well that is how I feel today. Too tired for anything especially thinking at work...but we must so I shall,..... just now..... We had a lovely weekend. Saturday was just a divine peak at what I am presuming will (hoping will) come shortly to our Cape Town shores. Although last night (Sunday) you would swear we are in the middle of winter what will all the rain, the howling wind, the thunder... Which brings me to my point as to why I am so tired. Most mornings I am up at 5 and am woken normally once during the night by Joshua who cleverly wants to be put into the bed between Clive and I on his own pillow and immediately closes his eyes.
Now there is a huge parenting debate on co-sleeping yes or no, right or wrong. Well I was and I reiterate was, one of those "parent to be's" that said 'no way is the baby / child to sleep in the bed' it forms bad habits, no never me. Well let me just take my foot out of my mouth right now, as I had/have started it. It started about a month ago or maybe bit longer where Joshua goes down beautifully by 7pm and then when he woke me being very tired on whichever night it was as it is a haze to me which one, I put him in the bed so that I could get some sort of semblance of a nights sleep. We actually both slept well and it from then became a bit of selfish habit on my side to get a 'decent' nights sleep I knew he would go down if I put him in the bed with me. Well now I think he expects it when he wakes, and why shouldnt he? What better place to be than next to your mommy or daddy so that when you wake you can box them on the nose and slap them awake? And talk animatedly and chew your toes in the snuggness of the two people you love most.
Well this morning I think my hand has just now come back to life after being in one position the whole night, I have a crick in my neck and am really tired as it stormed so last night Joshua did not sleep snuggly between us in fact he is a wriggly wriggly worm and likes to sleep with his arms wide open which leaves me with about 5cm to sleep on my side.....But what was I to do he woke with the rain / hail making a noise on the window and was crying he doesnt know what on earth is going on, so instead of starting to watch the 8'oclock movie I got into the bed with him and we both fell asleep...though not too soundly. So now who wins the debate...as I am now considering some sleep training that we will have to enforce to get him to sleep the ENTIRE night in his own bed which will inevitably mean 'more sleepless nights' grrrrr.
A very happy Birthday to Kristian for yesterday and my primary school friend Denise van der Merwe (Plough) hope you both had a fantastic day.
I also realised that I had not posted any pictures from the wonderful lunch we had at Wendy's to say goodbye to Kristian so here are some, together with some new ones of Josh.
Mummies

Daddies
Kristian and Sarah

Gavin and Joshua


Max and Josh having a silent conversation

Sarah with Max and Josh, holding hands...

Sarah sleeping waiting for the othter kiddies to join the photoshoot

Proud daddy

Josh on way to Kai's first birthday party

Josh eating his toes

Playing on the grass at home

6 comments:

Cheeky Monkey's Mum said...

These are lovely pics. all of them. And your little boy is looking so gorgeous.
It is a hard one - sleep and bed wise. I still have trouble with Dylan at 3 1/2 who we were softer with so be wise. Kieran on the other hand is no trouble at all and sleeps on his own 7.30pm to about 6.30am.

purpleronnie said...

Hey I wish you all the best with that! We have Sarah in bed with us after her first early morning feed, but I am trying to be really strict about the rest. Who knows what the best thing is.
On another note, please please please send me all these pics esp that one with Steven and Sarah as I want to frame it. Thanks babe
xx

Fiona said...

What gorgeous photos Nicci. I love that one of Sarah all by herself, sound asleep on what I term the most uncomfortable couch ever made. She at least found it cumfy. It was a great day and a pity you had to leave so early. Fiona xx PS one thing you learn as a young mummy - NEVER SAY NEVER - it will come back and bite you in the bum!!!!

Anonymous said...

Stunning pics Nicci.
Yes the whole co-sleeping thing is part of a huge debate in parenting circles although the trend these days is to do so. I think it really depends on the family and the baby. each set of circumstances and personalities is different, so just do what works for you.

Wendy said...

when you are tired you come up with all these irrational ways of changing things. you think oh no I have done it all wrong. but I think you will do what your instinct tells you is right. Joshua had a bad night. it will not happen every night. I have a rule that Lily does not come in with us until after 5 in the morning unless she is sick and then everything is out the window. It works for me. you will find what works for you.
hope you catch some zzz s soon
xx

Sue said...

You must do what works for you. Don't let other people pressurise you into doing what they think is best for you. Jake had that whole bed-wetting issue and I have told him that if he wakes up and takes himself to the loo, he can climb into my bed after he's been. Works like a charm and we haven't had a wet bed since the end of June. He also sleeps in my bed when I go out. Secretly, I think I enjoy it more then he does. It won't last forever, so I'm enjoying it while I can. Besides, for me, there's no marriage to interrupt. I think when that becomes an issue, you need to get him out your bed!! Lovely photos too, by the way. He's such a cute kid!

 
Designed by Lena