Joshua was 7 months officially this Friday past the 24th October 2008 and I cant believe the difference in his daily development. He is moments away from crawling has two bottom teeth and his personality is coming out daily in leaps and bounds. Seperation Anxiety is starting to set in I think - he now moans like anything when he cant see me or Merriam his nanny. But each day there is something I notice about his personality or traits setting in, like when he laughs he crinkles his nose, when I pick him up he gets excited and gives me a little squeeze whilst stiffening his legs.
At church on sunday part of the speakers message was a clip from an interview done with Oprah and Toni Morrison and it was such an accurate statement that Toni Morrison said, I cant quote it word for word but it basically was this:
When you walk in the door - what does your child see in your face? Does he / she see your face light up with love or a smile or enjoyment at seeing him or her, or does he / she see irritation / disappointment from the day or the fact that he / she has dirtied her clothes / messed up their room.
Oprah went on to say that after this interview she realised that there was one defining characteristic that was applicable to every single person in every single interview she had ever done and that whether it be from the woman that was battered or the man who shot his wife - and that was: "Did you hear ME ... do you see ME ... do I MATTER". Everyone wants to matter to someone.
It made me think a lot and certainly made me aware of what mood I walk in the door with both with my child and my husband...yes maybe I had a terrible day, yes maybe I am annoyed that the said husband hasnt done the thing he said he would do 2 months ago, but does your face tell a story when they see you? At the moment my face lights up when I see Joshua when I get home, but I will need to keep the above in mind when he is a teenager and leaves his dirty socks / wet towel and messes the kitchen up, he must first see that I love him and then I will deal with the rest.
Something to think about...


5 comments:
Lovely pics. Hope we can meet up when we are in CT.
These pics are too gorgeous - love the one with him and Clive - but don't tell him this, it reinforces my belief that he looks exactly like you!!!
I remember that episode of Oprah and that is a very profound thing - people don't realise their expressions give their emotions away.
Lots of love
xxx
He is such a gorgeous boy Nicci. you and Clive must be so proud. well I can see clive is proud in his facial expression!
chidren pick up so quickly on your emotions much faster than adults even. I notice this with Lily and I think that that is such an important thing you said there
love and hugs
Definitely something kids pick up on very easily. Don't you find they always play up when you're feeling at your worst? Even tiny babies do it. I know Jake does!! I do try to be in a good mood with Jake, especially when I come home from work - it does get tougher as bedtime gets closer though!!
Great photos, your little boy is gorgeous!!
Beautiful photos. It is amazing to see how he is growing.
Very wise words Nicci. It is so true that at the core of ever person, is the desire to matter. We as parents have such a responsibility in showing our children every day, that they do, thereby leading to happy, confident children and adults.
Post a Comment