Monday, October 13, 2008

Poops (not for the fainthearted)

(I repeat not for the fainthearted may contain descriptions that make you want to puke)

Never before has someones poop been of interest to me WHATSOEVER however since having a baby now it has started to creep into my thoughts and warrants attention every now and then. When Joshua was breastfeeding it was the colour of mustard with seed like thingy majigies in the nappy. Some nappies were bubbly some were exploding some were just in the nappy some up the back and neck, which I then had to take the vest over his poor head to get off, why do they not make the side button vests for all babies sizes? I mean the poor child has to get bits of poop on his head if it is all over the vest....!!!

Then as he got bigger and went onto formula it turned a green colour...oh my word what is going on with this child was my first thought then after googling "colour of baby's stools" found out that it is quite normal due to the iron in the formula, and further googling "what consistency should my baby's stool be?" .... toothpaste consistency ... check - yes ok all is in order.

Now since starting on solids of course we have had our bout of constipation, it was the most horrendous thing I have experienced so far being a mom, I wanted to cry for him, he was red in the face, crying, pushing (very descriptive I know...if this was about an adult I would say "please keep this to yourself" - but it is a baby and I know the moms out there will read this with understanding. Eventually it has eased but flares up every now and then. Bananas and Apples on their own seem to be a problem... so we carry on learning.

I was at a braai recently where a friend of mine told me a hilarious story about her little boy, struggling with her to change his nappy so she left it off (after he had had a wee) put him on the floor and popped out the room .... luckily they have laminated flooring ... she wondered why he was so quiet. She went to check up on him and there was poo on the floor, on his hands, on his face, in his fluffy toys....I laughed and laughed... except I am sure I would not have laughed if it was me..... But you see now that I know her story ..... I will be very very careful heheee.

How my life has changed and the stories we tell at braais ..... :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I remember our own struggles with constipation. It is the WORST memory I have of Adam as a baby. He was in such pain.

But it's all over now and he poops like a champ!!

purpleronnie said...

Hehehehe too funny! It is amazing how interesting poo becomes hey! As I said to you at the braai, I would happily have eaten the breastmilk poo compared to what I have to face now!
Gone are the days of talking about our exciting lives, parties etc. Now it's all about baby baby baby!

Wendy said...

Eaten the breastmilk poo!!! I hope that was a typo eeewwwwww
For me it is the proper adult like ones that come from a child eating the same as you. Its totally gross.
Hope Joshuas constipation goes as he gets used to food otherwise just puree in a prune with those apples and see what happens
xxx

 
Designed by Lena