Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Weaning and things....

Me and My Teddy


Playing on my Tum

Hmm - I'm a thinker

Is this all I get to eat?
Fun in the big bath

Well here I sit at the PC late at night when I should be in bed getting rest as I know I am going to be woken by Josh at about 11:30pm / 12:00pm. Although last night was a good night he went down at 6:30 woke at 01:30am and then again at 05:30am, but who knows if tonight will be the same, normally it is 11 or 12:30 then again at 4:15/4:30 and again at about 6:30/7:00. I really need to do some research on whether this is all considered the norm as I have pretty much allowed him to set his own rythym. He is quite set on his bath time routine though and starts to get very irritable and moody at about 5:15 pm or so as he knows bath time is between 17:30 and 18:00, I end off the bath with a bit of massage singing his favourite "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" very softly and then he knows it is time for food which at the moment is still breastfed.

I have started weaning him from the breast for the 10ish am and 1ish pm feed. The reason I use the words "ish" is because he seems to want to have breakfast promptly at 9:30 and lunch at 1:00pm and it doesnt matter if he only ate at 7am via breast he still wants the bottle at 9:30am, which has me tearing out my hair when will he stretch, he has never stretched 4 hours apart from the very beginning, he has always been a maximum wait of 3 hours between feeds but more commonly 2.5hours in the day, the night time he is very good with. Initially he did not really like the bottle and even less so accepting it from Meriam our nanny, I think he associates feeding with smelling mommy, so thanks to Heather's advice we now place a blanket that I have held him with over her shoulder and voila he takes the bottle from her. Now I sit and wait for him to make poos as you need to watch this when on formula... sigh the joys... and the colours sorry to be graphic but it is amazing at the things you now have to consider!!!

In addition Meriam our nanny and I have started a first aid course a level 1 plus as we do infant cpr and choking in it too, it has been really informative and the second and last session is tomorrow, I now know how to perform cpr on an adult and baby and what to do if a baby / toddler is choking. It is something we think we will never need, and yet can save a life if we just knew what to do. I can definitely recommend it to any new and old moms !!

Here are some more pics of Joshua ... he is just getting so adorable now and he knows me so well his face lights up and he makes noises when he sees me it is the most rewarding thing, sometimes I force myself to go out and when I come back I have missed him so much it is the most rewarding thing to come back to that cutie pie face.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicci, Joshua is truly an adorable baby. The photos are lovely. I think his night time waking times are fine by the way. I fed Amy every 3 hrs for months and she only started sleeping through consistently from 8 months. I considered from 5am sleeping through, so would count the 6.30am feed as a morning feed, which would mean in your case that he is only waking twice, which is good. When he is ready he will stretch for longer. People will tell you to do a bottlefeed at night/try solids/boiled water/let him cry etc, but I think each baby is different and they sleep through when they are ready and shouldn't be forced. It is rough when you have a busy day ahead of you and have to be up early, but it won't last forever. Enjoy this precious time with your beautiful boy xxx

 
Designed by Lena